Saturday, August 29, 2009

Twitter - a Win / Win Situation

I started using Twitter last year ultimately to re-connect with some friends at an old workplace. I've done that and become closer than ever to them as a result. Along the way I've added lots of new contacts that I network and share ideas with and I consider many of them to be friends now as well. I have met several of them IRL (in real life) at events like PodCamp Ohio where I was gathering info to update our foundation website (still a work in progress, but revamped and revitalized).

So all in all it has been a positive experience.

The bonus that I didn't foresee?
Winning prizes!


A list of my winnings thus far:

4-pack of COSI passes from the Connector Podcast on Blogtalkradio (they post notices on Twitter, then they do drawings during their broadcast to their lucky listeners) I donated these for the raffle for the golf tournament for the foundation.

4 4-packs of avitae caffeinated energy water by retweeting (retweet/RT: to resend someone else's message out to all your followers) as a daily prize winner during a contest.

2 tickets to the Ohio State Fair by retweeting their message.

A year's supply of avitae as a first prize winner in their sweepstakes by retweeting. A case each month for the next 12 months - I love avitae!

4-pack of COSI passes from the Connector Podcast - I'm keeping this set to use some cold weekend this fall with our family.

2 tickets to the Jonas Brothers concert from VerizonWireless by retweeting their message. (D loves the JoBros and had never been to any concert before. She and a friend went - they were great seats, just 7 rows from the stage. Priceless!)

My husband has won avitae and restaurant gift certificates, as well as a copy of Trust Agents by Chris Brogan. Since Jim had already purchased a copy to read, he's doing a giveaway of his own on his blog for the extra copy.

Through Twitter we have also gotten donations, sponsorships and promotion for the foundation.

This doesn't include the free food I've gotten from watching everyone's postings about daily promotions from local restaurants.

Twitter definitely has its rewards!

What are some of your rewards from social media?

3 comments:

Marci said...

I completely agree! I won a 5-piece cast iron set from Lodge Cast Iron.
Beyond the prizes, I love the new people I've met via twitter.

Cat Herself said...

Oh boy, I"m going to need to sign up to follow Lodge Cast Iron . . . I love cooking with cast iron!

As for the benefits of twitter, for me it's been rebuilding or building relationships. I haven't gotten any freebies yet . . . although I have gotten $1 off mochas @crimsoncup a few times!

Anonymous said...

I have won many pairs of tickets from a local venue on Twitter. Even won a pair of tickets to a not-so-local venue, which I had to pass on. :(

I also wasn't expecting Twitter to be a source of "freebies", but I've been pleasantly surprised! :)