Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Inci-dental Advances

The last visit to our dentist was in a small office in the basement of a medical building. We've been going to Dr. D for years, so when he had his own office built and it was still close by, I scheduled our appointments for our regular checkups at the new office. My girls and I were very surprised by the spa-like atmosphere when we walked into the new waiting area. Even more surprising was the big flat-screen tv on the wall - at the old office you were lucky to find a magazine from the current calendar year.

Beyond the waiting room, the exam rooms were equally surprising. The x-rays were all done on the computer - no more developing films. The hygienist even used a small pen-like camera to take a close-up picture of K's tooth that had a cavity so that Dr. D could get a good look at it blown up on the computer - very cool! A computer in each exam room had our dental records, x-rays, even the appointment calendar so the hygienist can schedule follow-up appointments right then and there.

Ah, but the best part was the tv on the ceiling above each exam chair, complete with remote control and headphones. I have heard about dental offices with these high-tech improvements, but never really thought my dentist would have them. I ended up having a root canal the following week - and I have to say that while it wasn't a fun experience, I really didn't mind it that much. Was it because I was distracted watching Law & Order: SVU? Was it that I couldn't hear the sounds of what they were doing because of the headphones? Did all the new technology make it hurt any less?

All I know is, the OB/GYN could definitely take a lesson from this!

2 comments:

largesse said...

Sounds really cool!

My hygienist distracts me with conversation, which is also nice, even if low-tech! Not sure it would be enough distraction for a root canal, though.

Cat Herself said...

Our dentist does magic tricks after he looks in your mouth. It's mostly for the kids, but one time he did some special sleight of hand for me after a particularly brutal crown-fitting.